Yoga for Better Sleep

For the past month or so, I've been going to a yoga class that is mostly women over 50.  The teacher is younger than us, but in tune to modifying poses and working with what we would like to improve.  The subject of crazy sleep patterns came up and so we've been working on poses to help improve sleep for the past month.  Turns out that just showing up to yoga class; that walk from the parking lot and climbing those stairs to the second floor is a step in the right direction.  And then there's the poses we've been doing.  We start our usual routine; sun salutation, breathing practice and side and leg stretches and then work on poses for better sleep.

There is a series of 6 poses in this order:
- Staff pose
- Seated forward bend
- Upward plank pose (with knees bent is you wish)
- Supported shoulderstand
- Bridge pose
- Full boat pose

The best way to do the poses is to find a way to hold the pose comfortably for a few minutes.  This may mean modifying the pose, using props.  For example, sitting on the edge of a cushion helps keep the back straight in staff pose and forward bend. You might want to try having a cushion under your hips for half-shoulderstand instead of doing the full pose.  You'll still get the benefits of the pose.  At home, I use a wall to get into shoulderstand.  I start with legs up the wall and then lift up my hips, then back and then take legs away from the wall one at a time. (sort of like the half-shoulderstand in the photo)  It's most important to be comfortable and not strain your muscles or back.  Remember - Listen to your body!

If doing a home practice, I would do 2 or 3 of these poses and then a savasana practice before bedtime to benefit the most.  Lately I admit I've been lazy with my home practice, but I have noticed that I'm sleeping better, just by doing these at class.


Comments

Sam said…
nice blog...........

Popular Posts